334 E. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law
B.A, University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
Travis Copenhaver is a partner in Vicente LLP’s Michigan office, where he focuses on cannabis business licensing, intellectual property, and regulatory compliance. In his licensing work, Travis advises new and existing cannabis businesses in initiating, developing, and expanding their presence in the Michigan cannabis market. As an experienced intellectual property attorney, Travis provides consultation in brand development and trademark applications, clearance, maintenance, and enforcement.
In 2015, Travis began his career in cannabis working with one of the key authors of the legislation that became PA 281 of 2016, the Michigan Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act. Since then, his practice has grown in tandem with Michigan’s emerging cannabis industry. Travis's experience with the state’s cannabis legislation and working groups, in addition to his connections with municipalities across the state, makes him a vital resource for clients.
A leading voice on cannabis law in Michigan, Travis has presented at many events and seminars and is a go-to source for local reporters. He also hosted a weekly live show discussing cannabis legal issues and news.
Travis holds degrees from Case Western Reserve University School of Law and the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
Leadership & Community Involvement
- Member, Stakeholder Workgroup for Special Licenses, Michigan Marijuana Regulatory Agency
- Inaugural Member, Cannabis Law Section, Michigan State Bar
Author, "The First Step to Getting a Michigan Cannabis Business License: Prequalification," July 29, 2022
Author, "New Cannabis License Opportunity in Michigan: Class A Microbusiness License," March 24, 2022
Co-author, "Intellectual Property and the Medical Marijuana Industry," Michigan Bar Journal, August 2016
- Speaker, Vicente LLP, "Compliance Best Practices for Michigan Cannabis Operators,” Online, April 19, 2023
- Speaker, Vicente Sederberg LLP, "[Webinar] New Cannabis Opportunities in the Upper Midwest: Post Election,” Online, December 08, 2022
- Speaker, State Bar of Michigan Cannabis Law Section Spring Training, "MRA Enforcement inspections,” Ann Arbor, April 28, 2022
- Speaker, The Seminar Group, "The Business of Marijuana in Michigan,” Grand Rapids, April 10, 2019
- Speaker, Michigan Cannabis Business and Compliance Seminar, "Getting Ready for Recreational Cannabis: What You Need to Know Now,” Detroit, October 11, 2018
- Moderator, Cannabusiness Live, "Interview with [MRA] Director Andrew Brisbo,” Lansing, September 12, 2018
- Speaker, Strategies for a Successful Cannabusiness and Winning Facilities, "How to Build, Register, License and Protect Your Brand and Intellectual Property,” Detroit, December 08, 2017
In the Media
- Forbes, "Minnesota Lawmakers Pass Marijuana Legalization Bill," May 20, 2023
- High Times, "Minnesota Sheriff Issues Warning About Adult-Use Legalization," April 12, 2023
- Marijuana Venture, "Election: Two Stepping Forward, Three Stepping Back," December 14, 2022
- My Cannabis, "Industry Thought Leaders Weigh In on Mid-Term Elections Marijuana Results," November 9, 2022
- Leaf Retailer, "The Results Are In: Cannabis Ballot Voter Responses," November 9, 2022
- Benzinga, "South Dakota's Senate Bill to Legalize Recreational Marijuana Voted Down," November 9, 2022
- Benzinga, "North Dakota Voters Reject Ballot Measure to Legalize Adult-Use Cannabis," November 9, 2022
- Cannabis Business Times , "North Dakota Voters Reject Adult-Use Cannabis," November 8, 2022
- CannabisNow, "Michigan State Police Stop Cannabis Blood Tests," September 7, 2022
- Crain's Detroit Business , "Public cannabis companies making headway in maturing Michigan industry," March 8, 2022