State-by-State Hemp & Cannabinoid Compliance Guide
The complex patchwork of state hemp and cannabinoid laws and regulations is constantly evolving, and tracking new developments can become a confusing and time-consuming undertaking for even the largest and best-managed businesses. Consequences of non-compliance can be costly, particularly in this novel area of law where businesses are subject to unique legal risks.
Given FDA's current position that it is illegal to market CBD products as ingredients in food or dietary supplements, states have developed diverging approaches to regulating hemp-derived cannabinoids in food, dietary supplements, cosmetics, and inhalable products. The Vicente LLP Hemp & Cannabinoid Compliance Guide was designed to help businesses like yours navigate this ever-changing regulatory environment of hemp-derived products. This comprehensive and affordable compliance solution is easy to use and can be tailored to your company’s specific needs. It features practical guidance and up-to-date summaries of state hemp and cannabinoid laws, regulations, and policy guidance, including:
- Product-type restrictions and permissibility of sale (food, dietary supplements, alcohol, vaporization, etc.)
- Manufacturing requirements
- Testing, packaging, and labeling requirements
- Reported enforcement actions
- License, permit, and registration requirements
- Utilizing of hemp ingredients and sale of hemp products by cannabis businesses
The guide is produced by Vicente LLP attorneys across the country who continually research, monitor, and analyze hemp laws, policies, and regulations. They also utilize valuable regulatory agency relationships and experience to provide subscribers with practical, easily digestible information.
Every Vicente LLP Hemp & Cannabinoid Compliance Guide features a Master Guide: State Categorization for the Sale of Hemp-Derived CBD Products, which is available as a one-time purchase or as a subscription. It can also be bundled with a variety of additional options. Learn more in the “Customize Your Guide” section below.
Request a complimentary consultation with an attorney to discuss a customized package that best fits your needs.
Customize Your Guide
The most popular Vicente LLP Hemp & Cannabinoid Compliance Guide includes:
- Categorization, guide, and map of all the states (and 3 territories) based on the legality of retail sales of CBD products. State summaries include all licensed activities, expressly permitted or prohibited CBD products, and additional relevant information such as any pending legislation, regulation, policy, or any publicized enforcement by state regulatory agencies.
Includes state-by-state CBD matrix and map
- State-by-state chart indicating in a “yes/no” format which states require packaging and labeling, testing, registration, or other unique requirements for selling hemp-derived CBD products
- State-by-state chart indicating in a “yes/no/silent” format whether the following CBD product types are permitted for sale: food, dietary supplements, cosmetics, hemp flower/leaves, smokable, vaporization, pet food/treats (not animal food/feed), alcohol
- Guide to hemp and CBD product marketing and labeling best practices
State-by-state chart showing the legality of selling intoxicating or synthetic cannabinoid hemp products (including, but not limited to Delta-7, Delta-8, Delta-10 THC, THC-0, and HHC), including age and cannabinoid limitations
Customize your guide to fit your needs:
- State packaging and labeling requirements for hemp-derived CBD foods and beverages
- State license requirements for manufacturing hemp ingredients and finished hemp products, wholesale hemp products, and retail hemp products
- List of states in which a license, permit, or registration is required to distribute hemp-CBD products to retailers
- State-by-state chart listing packaging and labeling requirements for hemp-derived CBD vaporizer products in select states
- State-by-state chart listing regulatory requirements for hemp-derived CBD vaporizer products in select states
- State packaging and labeling requirements for hemp-derived CBD cosmetic products
- State-by-state chart indicating whether hemp-derived products may be sold in marijuana dispensaries, including requirements and notes on rulemaking activity
- State-by-state chart outlining the requirements to include hemp as an ingredient in cannabis products
- State-by-state chart including biomass requirements (i.e. sample collection agency/person, sample collection timing, sampling procedure, permissibility of retesting, permissibility of remediation, THC testing description, measurement of uncertainty, additional testing)
- State-by-state chart including hemp product testing requirements (i.e. microbial, mycotoxin pesticide, residual solvent action levels, heavy metals)
- Tracks pending state hemp-derived CBD product regulations, including regulation name, agency info, anticipated content, current status, anticipated effective date, and citation
Check back frequently as we are continually adding new options!
How it Works
Submit the consultation request form to schedule a complimentary attorney consultation to help you select the appropriate guide(s) based upon your business and states of operation (i.e., retailer, manufacturer, or distributor-focused business).
If you select more than one, we will customize the bundle price to ensure an economical service package.
Each subscription release will include a summary of notables changes in the laws, allowing you to identify new market opportunities or changes in your current market that may prompt adjustments to the supply chain.
Once you have selected a subscription that best fits your needs, we will send an engagement agreement that includes the subscription service and will not require any retainer outside of the initial 3 months of the subscription cost. Subscribers can terminate the subscription/engagement anytime.
Vicente LLP's additional services will be available upon request.