455 Sherman St.
Denver, CO 80203
J.D., cum laude, Brooklyn Law School
B.A., University of Maryland, College Park
Jordan Wellington serves of counsel at Vicente LLP, and he is a partner at the firm's policy and public affairs consulting affiliate, VS Strategies. He has played a key role in drafting cannabis legislation and regulations in Colorado and other states, and he regularly advises government officials, businesses, and organizations from around the U.S. and across the globe on the responsible regulation of cannabis.
Jordan joined Vicente LLP as compliance director in 2014 and helped launch the firm's regulatory compliance practice. He also co-founded a cannabis regulatory compliance software company, Simplifya, where he continues to serve as an advisor.
Previously, Jordan was a legislative staffer in the Colorado House of Representatives, where he shepherded legislation through the General Assembly to implement the state’s voter-approved legalization law, Amendment 64. He was then hired as a senior regulatory analyst for the Colorado Marijuana Enforcement Division in the state Department of Revenue, where he organized the division's stakeholder engagement process and drafted many of the state regulations governing retail and medical cannabis.
Jordan has served on several advisory boards and working groups dedicated to developing sensible cannabis policies, and he has co-authored white papers on behalf of cannabis industry organizations regarding cannabis packaging, labeling, and testing policies. He frequently appears in the media discussing cannabis policy and business matters, and he is a co-host of Weed Wonks, a podcast focused on cannabis policy. He previously served as an adjunct professor at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, where he taught a class titled, “Regulating Cannabis."
Leadership & Community Involvement
- Member, Work Group on Legislation Implementation HB20-1424 - "Social Equity," Colorado Department of Revenue MED, 2020
- Member, Work Group on Sustainability / Science & Policy, Colorado Department of Revenue MED, 2020
- Member, Cannabis Equity Coalition
- Blizzy Magazine, "Top Social Equity Cannabis Power Player," 2020
Co-author, "Coronavirus and Cannabis: Colorado Regulatory Updates," May 1, 2020
- Speaker, CalCPA & COCPA 2020 National Cannabis Business Symposium, "Colorado State-Specific Updates,” Online, October 27, 2020
- Speaker, Ryan LLC, "Taxation in the Cannabis Industry,” Webinar , March 06, 2020
- Speaker, Ryan LLC, "Taxation in the Cannabis Industry,” Webinar, January 22, 2020
In the Media
- Politico, "Pass the Duchy: Luxembourg’s grand plan to legalize cannabis," July 30, 2019
- Denver Business Journal, "Here's where Colorado ranks nationwide for cannabis venture capital investments," July 25, 2019
- AP News, "Legal pot is coming, but will there be enough places to puff?," June 16, 2019
- Marijuana Business Magazine, "Cannabis Corporate Governance," May 31, 2019
- AP News, "Maine Hopes to Avoid Pot Pitfalls During Legislation Push," May 19, 2019
- Cannabis & Main Civilized Podcast, "Legal Cannabis Delivery 'is About Being Treated Equally and Legitimately'," April 30, 2019
- Cannabis Business Times, "Common Compliance Pitfalls and Tips to Avoid Them," January 3, 2017