455 Sherman St.
Denver, CO 80203
J.D., cum laude, Brooklyn Law School
B.A., University of Maryland, College Park
Jordan Wellington serves of counsel at Vicente LLP, and he is a partner at the firm's policy and public affairs consulting affiliate, VS Strategies. He has played a key role in drafting cannabis legislation and regulations in Colorado and other states, and he regularly advises government officials, businesses, and organizations from around the U.S. and across the globe on the responsible regulation of cannabis.
Jordan joined Vicente LLP as compliance director in 2014 and helped launch the firm's regulatory compliance practice. He also co-founded a cannabis regulatory compliance software company, Simplifya, where he continues to serve as an advisor.
Previously, Jordan was a legislative staffer in the Colorado House of Representatives, where he shepherded legislation through the General Assembly to implement the state’s voter-approved legalization law, Amendment 64. He was then hired as a senior regulatory analyst for the Colorado Marijuana Enforcement Division in the state Department of Revenue, where he organized the division's stakeholder engagement process and drafted many of the state regulations governing retail and medical cannabis.
Jordan has served on several advisory boards and working groups dedicated to developing sensible cannabis policies, and he has co-authored white papers on behalf of cannabis industry organizations regarding cannabis packaging, labeling, and testing policies. He frequently appears in the media discussing cannabis policy and business matters, and he is a co-host of Weed Wonks, a podcast focused on cannabis policy. He previously served as an adjunct professor at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, where he taught a class titled, “Regulating Cannabis."
Leadership & Community Involvement
- Member, Work Group on Legislation Implementation HB20-1424 - "Social Equity," Colorado Department of Revenue MED, 2020
- Member, Work Group on Sustainability / Science & Policy, Colorado Department of Revenue MED, 2020
- Member, Cannabis Equity Coalition
- Blizzy Magazine, "Top Social Equity Cannabis Power Player," 2020
Co-author, "Coronavirus and Cannabis: Colorado Regulatory Updates," May 1, 2020
- Speaker, CalCPA & COCPA 2020 National Cannabis Business Symposium, "Colorado State-Specific Updates,” Online, October 27, 2020
- Speaker, Ryan LLC, "Taxation in the Cannabis Industry,” Webinar , March 06, 2020
- Speaker, Ryan LLC, "Taxation in the Cannabis Industry,” Webinar, January 22, 2020
In the Media
- Law Week Colorado, "The Slow Rollout of Medical Marijuana Delivery," April 16, 2020
- High Times, "Colorado Adult-Use Cannabis Dispensaries Reopen For In-Store Purchases," March 31, 2020
- Marijuana Central, "Colorado Customers Can Enter Adult Use Cannabis Shops Again," March 31, 2020
- Westword, "Colorado Customers Can Enter Recreational Pot Shops Again," March 30, 2020
- Cannabis Wire, "Colorado Lawmakers Advance Bill to Eliminate the Industry’s Residency Requirement," March 7, 2020
- QC Times, "Could Oregon Cannabis Solve Illinois' Supply Shortage? Maybe In The Future.," March 6, 2020
- Denver Business Journal , "Colorado Legalized Cannabis Delivery But No One's Bringing The Weed Yet - Here's Why," January 30, 2020
- KUSA-TV Online, "These New Marijuana Laws Still Need Local Approval," January 3, 2020
- Marijuana Today, "Episode 284 - Back in Vegas! Marijuana Today Goes All In," December 24, 2019
- Denver Business Journal , "Experts: $140M Cannabis Acquisition Signals Turning Point For Colorado Industry," November 13, 2019