J.D., Northeastern University School of Law
B.A., Brandeis University
Jeremy Shaw is a corporate and regulatory attorney at Vicente LLP, where he advises clients in general corporate matters, corporate governance, private placements, mergers and acquisitions, and commercial arrangements. Jeremy has deep experience in the Massachusetts market, guiding clients in complex corporate transactions through Massachusetts’ cannabis regulatory scheme.
He also advises corporate clients on a national basis, guiding private cannabis companies through formation, early-stage fundraising, and exit transactions, as well as publicly-traded MSOs in their expansions in the northeast, giving Jeremy the experience necessary to meet each client’s individual needs. Additionally, Jeremy has advised individual investors and law firms in connection with a variety of cannabis-related investment transactions.
In 2021 and 2022, Boston magazine listed Jeremy in its "Boston's Top Lawyers" list. He was recognized as a top-rated cannabis law attorney in the Massachusetts "Rising Stars" list by Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers in 2022. Jeremy is recognized by Super Lawyers: Ones to Watch for his Corporate Governance / Compliance Law / Corporate Law work in Boston.
In law school, Jeremy served as co-Chair of Northeastern University School of Law’s chapter of Students for Sensible Drug Policy and interned with Vicente LLP’s Massachusetts and Denver offices, as well as with Federal District Court Judge Nathaniel Gorton of the Massachusetts Federal District Court. Jeremy is a former elected Town Meeting Member of Brookline, MA.
Leadership & Community Involvement
- Elected Town Meeting Member, Brookline, Massachusetts Precinct 4, 2015-2019
Co-Chair of Northeastern University School of Law’s chapter of Students for Sensible Drug Policy, 2015-2016
Mergers & Acquisitions
Acted as corporate counsel to Village Farms International, Inc. in its acquisition of Balanced Health Botanicals, LLC, a private CBD-product wholesaler and online retailer, for consideration of $75 million in cash and stock
Acted as lead corporate and regulatory counsel to a private cannabis cultivator and manufacturer in connection with the execution of definitive agreements for the sale of that company and its associated real estate holding company to a publicly-traded MSO for consideration of $55 million in cash and stock
Acted as corporate counsel to a leading MSO in its acquisition of a licensed cannabis retailer for consideration of $14 million in cash and stock
Represented multiple leading MSOs as regulatory counsel in their respective acquisitions of licensed cannabis businesses in the northeast
Acted as corporate and regulatory counsel to a multi-state cannabis testing laboratory operator in its acquisition of a cannabis testing laboratory business
Acted as corporate counsel to a cannabis retailer in its $15 million Series A financing, which included a lead investment by a growth equity fund
Acted as corporate counsel to a regional MSO in connection with a convertible note financing
Represented several cannabis companies in connection with early-stage equity and convertible note financings
Acted as corporate and regulatory counsel to a cannabis operator in connection with a $6 million secured debt financing
Acted as corporate and regulatory counsel to a cannabis operator in connection with a $10 million secured credit facility
Represented multiple investors in connection with regulatory and corporate due diligence in connection with a variety of cannabis investment transactions
General Corporate Matters
Represented numerous clients in connection with the formation and structuring of cannabis businesses and cannabis joint ventures
Represented numerous clients in corporate reorganizations related to conversion from non-profit to for-profit entities in connection with changing regulatory schemes
Acted as corporate and regulatory counsel to a regional MSO in connection with its restructuring and expansion
Assisted in the representation of the plaintiff in Barbuto v. Advantage Sales Marketing, LLC, which resulted in the groundbreaking ruling by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court establishing the availability of certain state disability law protections for medical cannabis patients.
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch, "Boston — Corporate Governance and Compliance Law and Corporate Law," 2024
- Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers, "Massachusetts Rising Stars – Cannabis Law," 2022
- Boston magazine, "Boston's Top Lawyers," 2021-2022
- Co-author, "Guide to Closing Cannabis Transactions Between Private Companies," August 6, 2020
- Speaker, Vicente LLP Minnesota Hemp & Cannabis Seminar, "How to succeed in Minnesota’s current hemp-derived THC market while preparing for upcoming adult-use cannabis opportunities.,” Minneapolis, October 19, 2023
- Speaker, Worcester Business Journal, "The Business of Cannabis Forum,” Worcester, July 20, 2023
- Speaker, NECANN Boston, "Super Sale: How to Sell Your Marijuana Business in MA & Stay Out of Trouble,” Boston, March 19, 2022
- Speaker, Vicente Sederberg LLP, "Cannabis Mergers & Acquisitions,” Webinar, September 10, 2020
- Speaker, NCIA Northeast , "Growing Beyond State Lines: How to Expand Your Cannabis Business ,” Boston, February 20, 2020
- Speaker, NECANN Vermont Hemp & Cannabis Convention, "Tax-and-Regulate Startup Lessons from Legal States,” Vermont, May 18, 2019