Important 4/20 Reminders from the Colorado MED
Apr 18, 2022
In advance of anticipated 4/20 celebrations this week, the Colorado Marijuana Enforcement Division (MED) has provided important reminders for Colorado operators. As an MED Medical or Retail Marijuana Business Licensee, business owner, or employee licensee, you hold a license privilege that requires you to operate your facility and conduct business strictly within the parameters set forth in law.
- It’s against the law for people under 21 to buy, have, or use Retail Marijuana
- Two ID checks required - every employee is responsible to review a valid government issued ID and verify the age of every customer before permitting access to the Restricted Access Area and before initiating a sales transaction
- No delivery of Retail Marijuana to a person under the age of 21
- Licensees may not use advertising and branding to target individuals under the age of 21
- No public consumption is allowed - it is a violation of state and local laws, subject to criminal charges
- No consumption on premises - unless a Licensee holds a Hospitality License approved at the state and local level, licensees shall not permit consumption of Marijuana or Marijuana product on premises
- Product limits have changed - Adult Medical patients can only purchase eight grams of marijuana concentrates per day. Non-adult Medical patients are restricted to purchasing two grams of concentrates per day
- A Store shall provide the patient or consumer with the tangible educational resource with each sale of Medical and Retail Marijuana concentrate
- Licensees are required to confirm the patient possesses a valid patient registry card for all sales of medical marijuana
- It is against the law to drive under the influence of marijuana. Here is more information about 420 Impaired Driving Prevention and CDOT's free marijuana-impaired driving education materials
The MED encourages operators to use this 420 compliance flyer as a tool to assist you and your businesses in remaining compliant next week and throughout the year. Be aware that MED investigators will be visiting licensees to monitor for adherence and enforcement of these rules.
Please reach out to one of VS's Colorado attorneys with any questions or comments.